Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Orion's First 14'er Hike

I should get Brett to write this entry, but then we all might wait a long time. On Saturday, Septmeber 1st Brett took Orion to climb his first 14'er. This is a BIG event in our family. Brett and I both enjoy hiking and climbing very much. Brett likes more challenge than I do, but I still get out there and hike - at least we did before we had kids.
Brett woke Orion up around 5:30 am so that they could enjoy a meteor shower before leaving on their hike. Then they drove to the base of Mt Deomocrat (http://www.14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Mt.%20Democrat). There isn't any political connection to picking that mountain to be Orion's first 14'er; it just happens to be a fairly easy one and relatively close to Colorado Springs. I can't give a direct account of the hike, but I hear that Orion had a really good time and hiked well. Barley got to go also which made her a VERY happy and VERY tired beagle.

Orion crossing a creek at the start of the climb.

The "official" picture before the climb.


Orion on the trail up.



Brett and Orion on the summit.
Orion and Barley on the summit.
Orion enjoyed the shelter of this old shack on the way down. He hung out in here talking with another young boy who had made the climb.
Orion looking out over the mountain. The green area below is where the car was parked.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember that shelter! I had to stop there and catch my breath while you and Brett summitted. Crazy to think that Orion has climbed more 14'ers that I have.