Monday, August 16, 2010

Venus Fly Traps


Last Christmas we gave Hunter a terrarium of carnivorous plants. One of the plants is a Venus fly trap. The only place in the United States that Venus fly traps grow in the wild is within 60 miles of Wilmington, NC. North Carolina has a great state park, Carolina Beach State Park, where we went hiking to find a Venus fly trap in the wild. I'm glad we did this, but . . . it was painful. I hate humidity. I am not cut out to live or function in humid places any more. The day we picked to go to the state park, it was 99% humidity and we went at NOON. So I got a little grumpy about traipsing through the woods while dripping with sweat to find a plant. I ended up sitting in the van with most of the kids and my parents while Brett and Orion searched for the Venus fly trap. As you can see from our pictures, they did find one - about 30 seconds before I left them at the park.

1 comment:

Solomon Parker said...

Venus fly traps will not live long in terrariums. They need a cool winter and to live outside. Without those winter conditions, they will die as I assume you've found out already.